Wednesday, September 22, 2010

D Day Minus 171 (September 19, 2009): Say No to I Didn’t Know ...

“You’re crazy.  I’m not going to record, I Didn’t Know I was Pregnant, so you can watch it with Katie. I won’t do it.” You said it with conviction, even after I cajoled you for nearly five minutes.  I’d just watched a parody of the show on The Soup with Joel McHale. I was buried in pillows and blankets in bed at Bassett waiting for Dad to tell me breakfast was ready.  I texted you a few minutes earlier just to check in.  You were at work, so I didn't call you direct.  I was surprised at how fast you called back.  I DID NOT call to talk about the show. Really! I had no idea the clip was going to be so funny.  It just worked out the way - a silly bonus.  

“But her poo had a face.” I said it twice.  You didn't understand me the first time because I was laughing so hard.  It was my naughty laugh -- guttural, deep, and totally inappropriate.  And so much fun.  

“I don’t care.” You said, trying not to catch my infectious laugh.  I knew you smiled even if you didn't laugh.  You liked it when I laughed – especially the naughty laugh. It meant everything was going to be all right.

 “Come on.  It would be so much fun to watch it with Katie.  You can watch it with us.”  I said as Dad darkened the bedroom doorway.  He gave me the look, the one where he's thinking, "Nance, grow up or Nance, give the kid a break." Dad walked out the door and mumbled something about breakfast, so I let you off the hook.  But, I sent myself a text message to record I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant -- even if you wouldn't.  

No comments:

Post a Comment