Tuesday, May 18, 2010

D Day Minus 218 (August 2, 2009)

As soon as I opened the front door,  Dad said, "Greg found the garlic again."  It was almost 10:30 at night. Dad and I spent the last five hours listening to Time Bandit by the Hillstrand Brothers from The Deadliest Catch on our trip back from Bassett. Dad and I laughed whenever Jonathan said 'crazy psychotic laugh' in the book, which was a lot.  I told Dad I was going to do my crazy psychotic laugh if I didn't make a pit stop soon.

Upstairs in your room, Katie laughed at your imitation of Chewbacca from Star Wars.  On my second load of carrying crap from the truck, you and Katie finally came downstairs.

"Do Chewbacca." You teased as I dropped my laptop bag in the foyer.

"AAAAARRRGGGGGGGHHHHGGGGLLLLLL," I did my best, but agony is all that came out.

"You sound like you are gargling spit. You need to loosen your tongue like you are trilling your rrrrs." You shook your head in disgust. "I thought you took Spanish."

"I slept through it." I said. "It was first period." We laughed as you pulled car keys out of your khaki shorts. 

"Katie and I are going to get some snacks for treatment tomorrow.  And maybe a drive." I barricaded myself in front of the door and made you hug me. All I could think of were the lyrics to Christopher Cross's song Ride Like the Wind and wondered if you'd make it Mexico.

It is the night, my body's weak
I'm on the run, no time for sleep.
I've got to ride, ride like the wind.
To be free again.

No comments:

Post a Comment